Sunday, December 21, 2008

Motivator, Supporter, Tutor, & Teacher named Umi

This day, 22nd December, we (Indonesian) celebrate Mother Day. So, today, I wanna dedicate this to my beloved mom_Umi.

We call her Umi, it's Arabic for mom...
her name is Siti Maemunah... She was born in 1951, 16th March (but it's mentioned 1950 at id). She was 24 when married with my father_Abah (1975). One year later, they got 1st_daughter (mba Nung), 2nd_daughter (mba Lely) in 1978, 3rd_son (mas Arif) in 1980, and 4th_daughter (me) in 1985.

1989, her beloved husband (our father) passed away, my father was 44 & my mom was 38. So...there she was...she has to become single parent for her 4 children : mba Nung 13, mba Lely 11, mas Arif 9, and me 4. Can you imagine that?...it's really hard..... ( I just knew about years ago, my mom's brother said to me...that he really worried when imagine what would we become without our father, a family without a "leader"...)


My mom runs her life & her family...alone. She has to be strong & tough as a leader....she become main structure of our family. She has to able handle everything...her children life, housekeeping thing.... by herself. Like another ordinary woman...sometimes she falls-down....sometimes her tear was dropped.... ( when saw that, I felt so guilty, because most of reason that happened : she can't handled we anymore : our naughtiness ).

I always remember....what she often said to us....:
"...although, you don't have father, you have to seems like other kids ( with complete parents ). You have to prove to them ( world ), if you could .... " at that time, I hadn't understood yet, what does it mean, after I knew it, mean it...it because,sometimes we were underestimated ( by others, by neighbors, etc ). That's why, we have to prove it....that we can....she is our MOTIVATOR....

Single parent of 4 children...it's really hard...emotionally, and ... materially.... She earned money for our life, try to make our life normally, she has to spend the money wisely, fortunately she is frugal person. But, for education thing, she would spend without hesitancy. When I was in kindergarten & elementary school, I was chosen to participated at painting competitions, so she would give me the best color pencil & doodle sets, the best she could find in my place, though it's expensive enough for us. She SUPPORTS so much....


She loves hand-crafting, and she's good on it. So...just like mother like daughter....I also love it.
I remember, one day, I played coconut leaves, my mom came, she took some of it, and then taught me made flower from it ( usually the flower is made by "Japan ribbon"). It's such a creative, isn't limited by material. She often taught me to make something, and proudly I say : when I was in school, I've got excellent in art ( exp. hand-crafting ), it because my mom...thanks Mi... she is truly my TUTOR, my TEACHER....she's so creative....

My mom is really creative... when I said to my college's friends : "If my mom studied architecture, she would become a good architect", because she really aware with physical & nature condition, the sun daylight.... ( we learned "Fisika Bangunan" ). She naturally...aware it...she applicate it in daily life...when she drying clothes, she will locate & order those based on on daylight ( sun, shading ), isn't it good? definitely :p


Singapore, 22nd December 2008

2 comments:

melur said...

you call your mom "Umi"?
that's really beautiful :)

Metamorphosophia said...

yup...
I call my mom : Umi, and my father : Abah :)
thanks :)